We wanted to address some important questions regarding the recent update to BioShock 2, which removes Games for Windows Live and implements Steamworks support.
Q: I purchased BioShock 2 on disc or digitally outside of Steam - How do I redeem my copy of the Steamworks version?
- A: There are a few simple steps to follow to get your Steam copy:
- Download and install Steam at http://store.steampowered.com/about/.
- Create a user account, or log into an existing account.
- Once you have launched Steam and created/logged in to your account, select the Games menu at the top of the window and select “Activate a Product on Steam” (see picture).
- Follow the prompts and enter in your 5x5 (25-character) product activation code that came with your retail copy.
Q: I bought a DLC pack for BioShock 2 - Do I get that, too?
- A: Yes – Any key “activated” in Steam (retail or digital) will give you BioShock 2 and all associated DLC packs, including Minerva’s Den.
Q: I don’t own BioShock 2. What do I get if I buy it on Steam/digitally now?
- A: You will unlock BioShock 2's base game, and the first three DLC packs (everything apart from Minerva's Den). You'll also have the option to buy Minerva's Den from Steam directly.
Q: Will I be able to bring my multiplayer characters, single-player save games or achievements from the Games For Windows LIVE version to the Steam version?
- A: No. Unfortunately, this information will not transfer in either the retail or pre-existing Steam/digital versions.
Q: Will this version support my PC Gamepad?
- A: We have officially added support for the Xbox 360 controller, and have ensured it works in Steam's Big Picture Mode.
Q: Will this work if I purchased a Russian or Polish version of the game?
- A: Yes. However, the Steamworks version currently supports English, French, Italian, German and Spanish languages only. If you'd like to play in Russian/Polish, your existing Games For Windows Live version will function as long as the GFWL service is still active.
Q: Have there been any changes/fixes to Multiplayer?
A: In addition to adding support for Steamworks and Steam community features, the team has also made the following changes:
- Players can now search for “any” game type in the match browser.
- Additional MP tweaks, including an adjustments to how experience is earned in MP matches.