We're aware of an issue affecting some players after the most recent multiplayer patch for Civilization III, causing the game to either crash on launch or become stuck on a black screen.
Here's a workaround and some relevant info:
- This can be caused by players skipping the opening videos at the wrong time. In order to avoid this, either skip the opening videos during the 2K logo, or let them play fully.
- It is common for players to edit the conquests.ini file to support modern resolutions and windowed mode. However, this will cause problems after the update.
- Adding "KeepRes=1" and "Video Mode=1280" (Where 1280 can be any resolution mode supported by the monitor) will cause the game to crash. Users should remove one or both of these lines.
For players on Windows 8.1:
- Please go to the below link (if the game installed on C drive), choose file "Civ3Conquests.exe", and right click to access Properties.
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests
- There is a dropdown box below that checkbox and any of the options in that dropdown box should work.