A returning feature to NBA 2K16 is the ability to scan your face and put it on your MyPLAYER character. This feature is unique to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game. If you have one of these consoles, this post should help you understand how to add that personal touch to your gameplay experience.
You can see a demonstration of Face Scan in action over on our YouTube channel.
NOTE: Aside from a PS4 or XB1, you will need to have a PlayStation Camera or a Kinect attached to the console.
Here's how to access the scanning feature in the game:
- Once you have created a MyPLAYER character and gone through the intro scene in the MyCAREER mode, you will have the ability to scan your face.
- On the main menu, select "Options."
- In the Options menu, select "MyPLAYER."
- You are now able to edit your MyPLAYER character's appearance. You can manually tweak this features, or if you move down you can select "Scan Your Face."
- From here, you will receive on-screen instructions on how to scan your face.
To effectively scan your face for the game, follow these instructions:
- Make sure to be in a well-lit area and minimize shadows. Natural lighting from the front and sides is best but keep it as equal/neutral as possible. Accurate skin tone is dependent on lighting and may need to be edited after the scan.
- Please remove any headwear accessories (glasses, caps, headbands, masks, etc.). If your bangs are too long, they could mess up the texture, so use a hair band to hold your hair off your forehead.
- You want to turn your head SLOWLY 30 degrees to the left and right as the camera is taking hundreds of pictures of you. Keep your chin on a level field. Don’t move the camera during this process.
- The scan area picks up the bottom of your chin to the top of your head. Keep your head in the green box. We don’t scan head shape, ears or eye color, so Users will NEED TO edit those after the scan.
- Keep your eyes open and eye level with camera (try to avoid angling camera too far up or too far down, should remain neutral). Look at the center of the camera.
- Keep your mouth closed. Do not smile or make other facial expressions. Consider shaving, you can always add facial hair after the scan.
- If you continue to have trouble scanning, trying holding a white piece of paper below your neck, but in the field of view of the camera. The closer to the camera you can get, the better quality scan you’ll get. If you lose tracking a lot on the Xbox while turning your head, try backing up an inch or two.
- Once scanned, you can access our robust customization menu to ensure that your MyPLAYER image accurately reflects your facial features and tone.
- For you perfectionists out there you may want to try several times until you are satisfied with the quality of your scan. Feel free to rescan at any point in your MyCAREER. Grow a beard and want it in there? You won’t lose your progress!
ANOTHER NOTE: If you decide to grow a beard or shave your head during your career, you can always re-scan your face but keep your MyCAREER progress.