As you've no doubt heard, there's a new entry in the XCOM universe- XCOM 2: War of the Chosen.
First things first: We've had a lot of people ask us exactly what this title is. War of the Chosen is an expansion, similar to how XCOM: Enemy Within was an expansion to XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It's also downloadable content, which means you already need to own XCOM 2 in order to play War of the Chosen.
So: What's included in this expansion? The short answer is, "a lot."
But we know that's not enough info for you, so here's what you've got to look forward to:
New Factions and Hero Classes
- Three new factions have appeared to help bolster your ranks: The Reapers, Skirmishers, and Templars. Each faction has its own unique abilities and contrasting philosophies. These factions provide powerful hero class soldiers to aid in missions and create new opportunities for the strategy layer.
- The Chosen are individual, cunning enemies who are unlike anything XCOM has ever faced. Each has their unique strengths and weaknesses that'll be introduced with each new campaign. The Chosen can kidnap, interrogate, and kill XCOM soldiers to complete their mission. They can also invade the strategy layer. The only way to defeat them for good is to find and raid their strongholds.
New Alien and Advent Threats
- A deadly new alien known as the Spectre can create dark copies of XCOM soldiers will appear on the battlefield. The ADVENT Purifier and the psionically-charged ADVENT Priest are other new threats you'll have to adapt to.
New Environments and Mission Objectives
- Engage in tactical missions across new environments, ranging from abandoned cities devastated by alien bioweapons during the original invasion to underground tunnels and xenoformed wilderness regions.
Enhanced Strategy Layer
- Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed.
Greater Customization and Replayability
- Soldiers can now develop bonds with compatible teammates for new abilities and perks. The SITREP system dynamically adds new modifiers to the tactical layer to make sure every mission provides a unique challenge. Advanced campaign options allow for finer adjustments to game length and difficulty.
- Utilize the perfect strategy in new regular one-shot community challenges to claim the top spot on the global leaderboard.
Share the Resistance
- Customize and pose your soldiers, then add filters, text and backgrounds to generate your own unique resistance posters that appear in-game and can be shared with friends.