My system crashes back to the desktop as the introduction movie starts or shortly afterwards
This crash can occur if your system is running an unrecognised screen resolution or your resolution is below the minimum that is required (1024x768). To bypass this issue please try the steps below:
- Open your graphics config file located in:
C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\
- For DX10/11 users open GraphicsSettingsDX11.cfg
- For DX9 users open GraphicsSettingsDX9.cfg
- Locate the following line of text:
- FullScreen = 1
- Change the value from a one to a zero so it reads:
- FullScreen = 0
- Save the file and you should now be able to launch the game, this should now allow you to view the video options and select a suitable resolution for your system.
NOTE: If you select an unsupported resolution which causes your screen to go blank, press the Escape key to return to the previous resolution.