2K Online Server Migration from GameSpy Technology
*****UPDATE FEB 27, 2019*****
Thanks for using the Borderlands Granting Tool- On March 27th 2019 the Borderlands Granting Tool will no longer be available.
2K has announced it is ending its exchange program for players who own physical copies of Civilization IV and Borderlands. The program will stop at 12:00 AM on June 4th, 2017.
Although players can still use Steam to upgrade a copy of Borderlands, 2K will not provide support if you encounter any issues during the process.
Please head over here for more details.
We're happy to announce that multiplayer has been restored to Civilization III, Civilization III: Conquests, and Civilization III: Play the World.
Upon launching Civilization III, Steam should automatically download and install the update for multiplayer. Once the update is installed, you should be able to choose to play a multiplayer game from the main menu.
NOTE: The patch that replaces GameSpy with Steam for multiplayer functionality. The game functions identically to the previous GameSpy version with the exception that the "Direct IP" option has been removed as it is no longer supported. Save game data should not be negatively affected. If you own a physical disc version of Civilization III and are interested in receiving this multiplayer update, please submit a support request.
We're happy to announce that multiplayer will be restored to Borderlands on PS3 today in both North America and Europe (and Japan is coming soon!).
Upon launching Borderlands on PS3, you'll be prompted to download an update that enables the new matchmaking system. This update also contains a few other changes:
- Within Borderlands multiplayer, you can sort your friends list in a few different ways:
- Who is playing Borderlands
- Who is online
- Alphabetical order
- The "And They’ll Tell Two Friends" Trophy will now grant correctly
- Improvements to voice chat
NOTE: If your save was previously stored in the cloud instead of on your PlayStation 3 hard drive, some settings (such as screen brightness, Y-Axis invert, etc.) may need to be reset.
Borderlands is now updated to replace GameSpy with Steamworks multiplayer!
If you have a retail version of the game, you can get the Steamworks version by running the “granting tool” in the “Tools” section of Steam.
For more information on this process, or for help getting your copy of Borderlands onto Steam, please refer to this Knowledge Base article.
In April 2014, Glu Mobile announced that it would be shutting down servers for several older games using GameSpy Technology. As a result, 2K titles using GameSpy online service offerings were scheduled to go offline on May 31, 2014.
However, not all of our games will be losing online service.
2K is in the process of making online service changes for several titles, transitioning them from GameSpy to Steamworks. As of May 31, 2014, Borderlands and select titles from the Civilization catalog will temporarily go offline while service is transitioned.
During the transition, players will experience interruption of several features, including online play, matchmaking and voiceover Internet protocol (VOIP) where applicable. Players will not experience interruptions to offline play.
The list of 2K titles slated for online migration includes:
- Borderlands (PC)
- Targeted for Summer 2014
- Civilization III, Civilization III: Conquests, and Civilization III: Play the World
- Check back for updates about the status of this game’s migration
- Civilization IV, Civilization IV: Warlords, Civilization IV: Colonization, and Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
- Online functionality has been successfully migrated to Steamworks.
2K has discontinued online service functionality for a number of our legacy titles that used GameSpy. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
2K titles losing online service as of May 31, 2014
- Close Combat First to Fight (PC / Mac)
- Jetfighter (PC)
- Jetfighter V: Homeland Protector (PC)
- Leadfoot (PC)
- Rune (PC)
- Stronghold 2 (PC)
- Stronghold Legends (PC)
- Top Spin (PS2 / PC)
- Top Spin 2 (PC / DS)
- Vietcong (PC)
- Vietcong Demo (PC)
- Vietcong Fist Alpha (PC)
- Vietcong 2 (PC)
- Vietcong 2 Demo (PC)
- MLB Fantasy All-Stars (DS)
- Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (DS)
- Major League Baseball 2K9 Fantasy All-Stars (DS)
- NHL 2K10 (Wii)
- NBA 2K10 (Wii)
Additional Nintendo DS and Wii titles may be impacted by the discontinuation of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service on May 20, 2014. More details can be found at Nintendo's website.
NOTE: As of May 31, Borderlands PS3 and Civilization Revolution PS3 also went offline as a result of GameSpy Technology's online service termination.
At the moment, we are still investigating the technical feasibility of restoring online service to both Borderlands PS3 and Civilization Revolution PS3. We will provide updates as they become available.
SOME MORE NOTES:
An update has been released for Borderlands on Steam. This includes:
- Removed SecuRom from the title and all DLC.
- Added a “Granting Tool” In the steam “Tools” section that turns a retail Borderlands disc into a Steam version of Borderlands. Need help with that? Here's our guide.
- “News Ticker” added to the main menu to give you updates on the Multiplayer restoration updates.
- Imported SecuRom DLC keys into Steam, so if you bought DLC outside of Steam, activate it within Steam and get your matching content.
Steamworks multiplayer will arrive in a future update.
The patch that replaces GameSpy with Steamworks for multiplayer functionality is now available via Steam.
- The game functions identically to the previous GameSpy version with the exception that the “Direct IP” option has been removed as it is no longer supported.
- Save game data should not be negatively affected. If you own a physical disc version of Civilization IV and are interested in receiving this multiplayer update, please submit a support request.
Due to requests that the Direct IP multiplayer option remain available for the Civilization IV titles after the switch to Steamworks, we have made the original (unsupported) GameSpy Version of the Civilization IV titles available for download via Steam.
- This will allow players to continue Direct IP games if they wish to do so.
- To install, please read this installation guide.