When will Civilization: Beyond Earth be released on Mac and Linux?
- Civilization: Beyond Earth is set to launch for Mac on both Steam and the Mac App Store this holiday season. The Linux version will launch on Steam close behind the Mac version. Specific launch dates for those platforms haven’t been determined yet, but we’ll update this post when they are.
How much does Civilization: Beyond Earth for Mac and Linux cost? Where can I purchase it?
- Civilization: Beyond Earth will cost $49.99/€49.99/£29.99, just like the PC edition. You may purchase the game directly from Steam once it is released on your platform, or you can also more directly support Aspyr Media by purchasing a Steam code from GameAgent.com.
What Civilization: Beyond Earth DLC be available at launch for the Mac and Linux?
- The only DLC that will be available at launch is the Exoplanets Map Pack. This DLC is currently available exclusively to customers that pre-order Civilization: Beyond Earth; it is included free of charge.
Will Civilization: Beyond Earth for Mac and Linux support Steam Play?
- Yes, indeedy! All versions of Civilization: Beyond Earth on Steam will support Steam Play, meaning that when you purchase the game on any supported platform (Windows, Mac, or Linux), you get the game on all three.
Does Civilization: Beyond Earth feature multiplayer? What about cross-platform multiplayer?
- Civilization: Beyond Earth features competitive, cross-platform multiplayer. This means Steam players on any supported platform (Windows, Mac, or Linux) may play with anyone else on any of those supported platforms.
So Civilization: Beyond Earth will feature cross-platform gameplay, but the game is only going to be available for PC at first?
- Correct. Cross-platform multiplayer may not always be available with players on Windows, including the initial time of launch. There may be times when the Windows version of the game receives an update prior to the Mac and Linux versions of the game; this will temporarily prohibit Mac and Linux players from playing with Windows PC players. Once the Mac and Linux versions of Civilization: Beyond Earth receive the same update, cross-platform multiplayer with Windows PC will be re-enabled. That said, cross-platform multiplayer between Mac and Linux should always be available, as the update schedule for each should be identical. And, of course, online multiplayer with players on the same platform will also always be an option.
Can I sync my Civilization: Beyond Earth save games across Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms?
- Yes, you will be able to do this, but it should be noted that cross-saving between platforms will not be available via the Steam Cloud. This will ensure saved game data will not be lost or corrupt due to incompatible in-game content or other unforeseen reasons. Users do have the option of transferring game saves via physical media (like a thumb drive) if they wish.
Who do I contact about support issues for the Mac/Linux versions of Civilization: Beyond Earth?
- For the Mac and Linux versions of the game, please contact Aspyr.