Welcome to the 2016-2017 basketball season! With the launch of NBA 2K17, you may have some questions about the game and/or its new mechanics. We've listed some common questions and answers below.
We will update this post as we receive more questions about the game.
So I'm new. Is there a gameplay guide I can check out?
- That's great to hear! Welcome to the NBA 2K community! While we don't have a singular gameplay guide, this FAQ has a number of helpful links for you to reference. When it comes to the specific mechanics, we wholeheartedly recommend checking out the in-game guide, "2K U." Additionally, the dev team has assembled some rather informative posts:
Wait, hold on: Go back to this "2KU" thing.
- Right! So. 2KU is the latest evolution of 2K University. You can find this section under the Play Now menu. It has various practice modes available for you to hone your basketball skills, but 2KU has Coach K teaching you the fundamentals of basketball.
Is there any documentation on NBA 2K17’s controls?
- Yes! Check out our expanded manual on the web.
I have both the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of NBA 2K17. Can I move my Virtual Currency between these versions? How about between Xbox 360 and Xbox One?
- No. Players' Virtual Currency (VC) balances cannot be transferred between any version of NBA 2K17, including across console generations.
How do I practice moves?
- There are several ways to practice moves in NBA 2K17. First, during the MyCAREER mode, you will have access to a practice gym in between games. Second, there are also the scrimmage/freeform modes between games which will allow you to practice and run scrimmages. Third, there are a variety of practice modes available via 2KU (mentioned above).
Why does my grade go down when a team member turns over the ball?
- Something you did was tied to the ball being turned over. Sometimes the foul called is rather generic and doesn’t specify what caused it to occur, at which point you may need to reference the rules of basketball to better understand what happened.
What’s a good starting position for a new player?
- If you're a new to NBA 2K, think about what kind of player you want to be. If you want to score points, having your character play as either a Point Guard or Shooting Guard will probably suit your style. If you think you'd rather have a defensive player, go with Small Forward, Power Forward, or Center.
How do I skip cutscenes?
- In order to skip a cutscene, you have to have watched it with your current profile. After you've watched it with that profile, you can skip a cutscene by pressing X (on your PlayStation controller) or A (on your Xbox controller). You'll receive a message asking if you want to skip the scene, but will be able to access them later on.
How do I check Coach Objectives?
- There’s no way to manually check the objective goals set by your coach. They tend to be assigned after a timeout or stoppage of play; However, you will see updates posted as you progress towards the objective. Additionally, these goals will be displayed each time you come onto the court to play in the box on the upper right corner of the screen.
I just received an objective with a term I don't understand. Help!
- The Coach Objectives sometimes use terms that might seem a little confusing to someone who isn't deeply familiar with basketball. If you're at all confused, we suggest checking out Wikipedia's excellent glossary of basketball terms to help you better understand the instructions you've received.
I have tattoos. Can I scan and add them to my MyPLAYER character?
- Unfortunately, no. Unless the tattoo is on your face, there’s no way to scan and add it to your character model. However, tattoos can be purchased and added via the in-game store.
Oh, OK. So how do I watch 2K TV when I'm in MyCAREER Mode?
- When you're in MyCOURT, walk over to the corner of the building that has the couches and television. Your character will sit down and you can select to watch the television.
How do I scan my face into NBA 2K17?
- You'll actually need the mobile app, MyNBA 2K17, to do this. Open the app, then select the Face Scan option and follow the on-screen prompts.
I don't like the face I've scanned to my player. Can I delete it?
- There isn't an option to delete a character's face, but you can change it. In order to re-customize your character, follow these instructions:
- Go to the main menu.
- Select “Options/Features.”
- Choose “MyPLAYER Appearance.”
- Edit your character as you see fit.
- Select "Complete" when you're done.