Hello, fearless world leaders.
We've recently created a new launcher for Civilization V and Civilization VI. We know you might want to know some more info about them, so we've put together a list of likely questions (along with their answers) below.
What is the launcher?
- Think of the launcher as a hub for all things Civilization. From it, you can launch the game, select the version of DirectX to use, and get the latest info from the newsfeed. The newsfeed contains content from the Civilization blog and YouTube channel.
What languages does the launcher support?
- The following languages are supported:
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
Can I resize the launcher?
- No. The launcher is a fixed size that can't be adjusted.
Can I disable the launcher?
- No. the new launcher cannot be disabled.
What are the launcher's system requirements?
- If your system can launch Steam, it'll support the launcher. There are, however, a couple of caveats:
- Your system must be 64-Bit.
- You may encounter issues with the launcher on Windows XP and Vista. If your computer is running Windows XP or Vista, please be aware that Steam will stop supporting those OSs on January 1, 2019.
The launcher closed and the game isn’t running, but Steam says the game is still running. What’s going on?
- This may happen if the launcher is not able to properly shutdown. You may need to manually end a couple of Windows processes.
- Open Windows Task Manager.
- Find the processes called "QtWebEnginerProcess.exe."
- Select each of these processes and click the End Process button.
I'm running Windows XP/Vista and am having trouble getting the launcher to work. What's going on?
Please remember that as of January 1, 2019, Steam will no longer support Windows XP or Vista. If you're on one of those operating systems, try this workaround:
- Open up Steam and navigate to your LIBRARY.
- Right click on the game in your library and choose "Properties."
- Selected the "BETAS" tab.
- In the text box to "Enter beta access for to unlock private beta:" enter the password "ineedlegacyaccess".
- Click on the "CHECK CODE" button.
- You should see a confirmation message that access has been granted.
- If not already selected in the drop down, select "legacy" and click close.
- Steam may require you to download and update for the game. Wait for this to happen or force it using "LIBRARY -> DOWNLOADS".
- Once the game has been updated, click "PLAY" as usual and you will be running the legacy branch.