Today, we'll release an update and hotfix for Borderlands 3 by or before 3:00 PM PST that adds a bunch of exciting new content in addition to addressing community requests and reported concerns! Below are the notes for both today's patch and hotfix.
Takedown at the Maliwan Blacksite
- Lorelei has recruited the Vault Hunters to destroy a top-secret weapon Maliwan has been developing at their Blacksite. You and your squad should prepare for an extreme challenge because this content is balanced for four players at level 50. You can gain access to the Blacksite via a mission found on Sanctuary III after completing the main campaign with that character.
- Takedowns feature special rules not found in the rest of the game! Respawning is disabled, so make sure you and your co-op partners get Second Wind or you'll spectate until the team wipes. If you do die, you're not out permanently! Die during the first half, you'll get to rejoin your team if they defeat the Valkyrie Squad. If you're out the second half, but your team manages to defeat Wotan The Invincible, you'll get to respawn to enjoy the rewards you didn't completely earn!
- Make sure your squad is in the session before you throw the switch inside the Air Lock, or anyone who joins after the switch is thrown joins as a spectator!
- Mayhem 4 is here for players looking for the toughest challenge in the game! Mayhem 4 adds another increase to enemy health, increases the loot drop chances, and adds a set of new Legendaries! Because the health value greatly increased, Mayhem 4 also slightly adjusts the random modifier system. Mayhem 4 will only roll one positive modifier for the player and one enemy bonus modifier. We want players to try different builds without severely hampering their ability to take down enemies in Mayhem 4. Note that Mayhem 1-3 are unchanged.
- In addition to increasing enemy health and adjusting the modifiers, Mayhem 4 contains new Legendary weapons and class mods for players to hunt. These new pieces of gear will contribute to new builds and new ways to kill enemies!
- To support Mayhem 4, we changed the Mayhem station slightly. Players will activate Mayhem through the center pillar and increase or decrease Mayhem levels by using the pillars on each side. Looking forward, we will monitor the challenge of Mayhem 4 closely. We're working hard on Mayhem 2.0, which will add brand new gameplay additions to Mayhem Mode in the future. Until then, we hope you enjoy the challenge and new loot!
All characters now begin the game with 20 bank slots instead of 10. The existing Bank SDUs will give everyone a total of 100 available spaces. An additional 10 Bank SDUs are available to purchase in Marcus's shop on Sanctuary III, each awarding 20 spaces, for a grand total of 300 total bank spaces!
Dedicated Loot Pools for Bosses
All bosses have been updated with new loot pools that give them dedicated Legendary items to drop. Players can now discovery which bosses drop their favorite gear and more easily farm their favorite items. Let the hunt begin!
Additional Vending Machines
The following environments have received additional vending machines. They can typically be found before bosses or the mid waypoint in larger environments:
- Atlas HQ
- Lectra City
- Jakobs Estate
- Voracious Canopy
- Tazendeer Ruins
- The Pyre of Stars
Players can take out their aggression, or test their gear, on a Handsome Jack target inside the shooting range on Sanctuary III.
End Game Character Balance
For this patch, we adjusted many passives involving companions such as Iron Bear, Digi-Clone, and FL4K pets in general. We wanted to increase their viability for later levels of Mayhem while also targeting some passives that were underperforming compared to some others. Iron Bear saw increases to the base scaling and additional bonuses were added through passives and augments. We allowed some of Zane's kill-skill bonuses to stack up to two times, increasing their output under certain conditions. FL4K pets also saw some increases over level to their damage so that they didn't feel underpowered for Mayhem Mode. We are currently happy with the variety of Amara's builds, but we are always monitoring feedback and will adjust if necessary.
- Iron Bear Damage increased per level, to a total of just under 150% at max level
- Desperate Measures now gives Iron Bear the bonus too
- Experimental Munitions - Iron Bear also deals bonus fire damage on critical hits
- Scorching RPM's also grants increased Hard Point damage by 5% per level
- Stainless Steel Bear also grants increased Hard Point damage by 5% per level
- Vampyr - When Iron Bear deals area damage, Iron Bear receives half the healing bonus
- Iron Bear now launches barrels when the player melees them
- Increased Iron Bear Bubble Shield from 20% to 50% of Moze's health
- SNTL damage scale increased by 2% per level
- Donnybrook, Pocket Full of Grenades, Cool Hand, Violent Violence, and Violent Speed bonuses now stack twice
- Fixed Violent Momentum to scale more at higher movement speeds
- Best Served Cold radius and damage increased by 2% per level
- Confident Confidence increased max weapon damage bonus from 20% to 35%
- Changed Trick of the Light element to Cryo and increased bonus from 18% to 36%
- Borrowed Time duration increased from 15% to 30% per active skill
- Double Barrel's bonus increased from 20% to 25%
- Quick Breather now restores 50% of the clone's health after a swap
- Pocket Full of Grenades bonus slightly decreased from 6.5% to 5% as it now stacks
- Violent Violence bonus slightly decreased from 4% to 3% as it now stacks
- Ambush Predator now has a HUD Icon when the buff is active
- Increased the pet damage to scale 10/5% per level instead of 9%
- Added pet damage to Grim Harvest at 7% per level
- Added pet damage to The Most Dangerous Game at 9% per level
- Added pet damage to Interplanetary Stalker at 1% per stack, per level
- Added pet damage to Furious Attack at 0.6% per stack
- Added pet damage to The Fast and the Furryous at 10% per level
- Lick the Wounds gained a pet damage buff after reviving the player
- Increased pet damage for Psycho Head on a Stick from 10% to 20%
- Increased damage in Pack Tactics from 5% to 7% per level
- Adjusted Megavore to not reward critical hit bonuses when receiving damage from self-damage
- Fixed multiple crashes that occurred when interacting with the ECHO menu
- Fixed a crash that occurred after quitting to the main menu multiple times
- Fixed a crash that occurred when transitioning to Athenas during a 4-player multiplayer session
- Fixed a crash that occurred when Iron Bear was destroyed
- Fixed a crash that occurred when entering or exiting Iron Bear
- Fixed a crash that occurred while in heavy combat with Varkids
- Fixed a crash that occurred in networked games
- Fixed a crash that occurred when split screen party joins another game during Marcus intro
- Fixed a crash that occurred when a split screen user quit to the Main Menu
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred when dropping a piece of gear on PC
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred after 3 clients joined the host
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred when destructible environmental art took damage
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred when a client transitioned to Desolation's Edge
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when entering Fade Away
- Fixed a rare crash related to the Time of Day of an environment
- Fixed a rare crash that occurred as a result of improper text fields
- Fixed a crash related to the Minimap Widget
- Fixed multiple crashes that occurred when players fast traveled
- Fixed an issue that prevent the application from terminating properly
- Fixed an issue where the news widget would hang indefinitely
- Disabled the benchmark feature when in a coop group
- Improved overall performance in menus
Note: we are still working on additional performance updates that will be implemented in future updates.
- Improved performance of bank
- [PlayStation 4 Only] Fixed an issue that prevented players from marking items as Junk or Favorite on PlayStation 4
- Addressed an issue where sorting the inventory by type sorted the inventory by score
- Added 'Sort By Rarity' to Bank, Inventory, Item Trading and Vending Machine Selling
- Clients now receive an indication of why their travel attempt failed
- Updated names in the credits
- Addressed an issue where corrupted characters were displayed for several Fast Travel Stations in Japanese and Simplified Chinese
- Addressed an issue where characters were displayed in the incorrect direction for Fast Travel Stations and Level Transitions in Traditional Chinese
- Addressed an issue where comparing class mods displayed the incorrect icons on the abbreviated item cards
- Addressed an issue where items slots could overlap when viewing player storage
- Addressed an issue where the travel countdown timer could be interrupted by opening the chat window
- [PC Only] Addressed an issue where mouse input could be lost
- Addressed an issue where Item Cards at the beginning of the game didn't display
- Addressed an issue where missions were not sorting correctly in the Mission Log
- Addressed an issue where the friends list could be too long for split screen
- Addressed an issue where a player could lose their HUD in split screen
- Addressed an issue where the info panel briefly displayed when looking at Planet Challenges
- Addressed an issue where players could be sent to the wrong location when selecting a destination quickly in the Map
- Addressed a rare issue where a dialog box could not be dismissed
- Addressed an issue that could cause NPC to get stuck during a teleport
- Addressed a perceived progression blocker where an NPC leading the player could break if one of the players left the game
- Addressed a progression blocker where Lilith could become stuck during the mission "From the Ground Up"
- Addressed a progression blocker that occurred when two players tried to accept the quest item at the same time from the slot machine during the mission "Sanctuary"
- Addressed a few progression blockers that occurred when travelling to another map and back during the mission "Sanctuary"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Lorelei's cyclone could be lost after users enter and exit the menu during the mission "Hostile Takeover"
- Addressed a progression blocker where the door into KillaVolt's arena wouldn't open during the mission "Kill KillaVolt"
- Addressed a perceived progression blocker where an Amber Lamps bot could spawn during the mission "Dynasty Diner" and leave the combat area
- Addressed a progression blocker where Bloodshine's sister may not spawn during the mission "Proof of Wife"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Rhys-Ball could become stuck during the mission "Space Laser Tag"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Brick could become stuck in a concrete block during the mission "Hammerlocked"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Tina couldn't be spoken to during the mission "Hammerlocked"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Billy, The Anointed would disappear during the mission "Lair of the Harpy"
- Addressed a progression blocker where split screen clients could not progress the objective "Equip Black Flame" during the mission "Witch's Brew"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Balex could stop pathing during the mission "The Family Jewel"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Tannis couldn't be spoke to during the mission "The Great Vault"
- Addressed a progression blocker where Tannis wouldn't interact with a critical mission objective during the mission "In the Shadow of Starlight"
- Addressed a progression blocker issue where a Tink could jump outside the barrier during the mission "Trial of Fervor"
- Addressed a few progression blockers during the mission "The Trial of Survival"
- Rare, Hunt, and Bounty Enemies now always match the players level
- Made adjustment to default zoom speed for gamepad
- Mayhem Mods that cancel each other out can no longer be active at the same time
- Shields that start regenerating immediately after depleting now properly trigger Not Depleted events.
- Moze is no longer able to infinitely stack the damage, health, and shield regen buffs of the Brawler Ward Legendary shield after equipping the Bloodletter Class Mod.
- Rough Rider shield properly triggers depleted augments when equipped
- Addressed an issue where certain shields could provide buffs to players even when not equipped
- Players can no longer stack the health regeneration buff of the Brawler Ward Legendary shield on another shield when repeatedly equipping and unequipping the Brawler Ward shield in Inventory.
- Addressed an issue where class mods and artifacts were accumulating action skill cooldowns when respeccing
- Addressed an issue where Hellwalker anointed parts were incorrectly weighted
- Addressed an issue that prevented the Zane's barrier from blocking E-Tech weapon projectiles
- Addressed an issue where Fl4k's pets could be frozen without showing any of the effects of being frozen
- Addressed an issue where the Action Skill cooldown timer for Fl4k's Gamma Burst could stack cooldowns when players revived or spawned a pet each time
- Addressed an issue where the skill augment Active Tracking for Moze didn't target enemies in turrets
- Addressed an issue where the Mayhem Modifier failed to effect Eridium gained
- Addressed an issue where parts of The Anvil were not properly balanced
- Addressed an issue where the Mother of Dragons wouldn't drop her loot
- Addressed an issue where Rare Spawn enemies might not have spawned during a mission if players had already defeated that enemy during that session
- Addressed an issue where loot wouldn't spawn after players had found all Eridian Writings
- DX12 is now the default Graphics API on Windows 10 for users with AMD video cards
- Added support for future types of hotfixes
- Added Spectator mode for Takedowns
- Explosion effects now dissipate faster
- Bullet tracers passing through Zane's shield are more transparent
- Improved the general audio performance and memory usage
- Save games triggered by money or changes in the inventory have been throttled
- Addressed an issue where save files were being deleted after the game crashed in the middle of saving
- Addressed an issue where guardian rank and tokens could be lost
- Addressed an issue where equipped weapon skins were not properly displayed
- Addressed an issue where ECHO themes were not displayer properly for co-op players
- Addressed an issue where Clay and Wainwright Jakobs would not appear properly in their Title Cards
- Addressed an issue where a Boundary Turret in Floodmoor Basin would not detect Iron Bear
- Addressed an issue where Iron Bear could fall through the platform during the Graveward fight
- Addressed an issue where players would load into Tazendeer Ruins facing the wrong direction
- Addressed an issue where players could become invulnerable when swapping artifacts
- Addressed an issue where Rakk could get stuck behind geometry in The Cistern of Slaughter
- Addressed an issue where players could rejoin the arena in The Cistern of Slaughter after dying
- Addressed an issue where Depth of Field would not work properly in split screen
- Addressed an issue where the player's shield bar could disappear from the HUD
- Addressed an issue where the Vault Symbol on loading screens appeared incorrectly on consoles
- Addressed an issue where events would not work properly if ECHOcast was not enabled before loading into a map
- Addressed multiple issues with Badass Events not spawning in certain maps for the Twitch ECHOcast extension
- Addressed an issue that prevented stats from properly incrementing while in vehicles
- Addressed an issue where Service Bots audio would ignore acoustic data
- Addressed an issue where player characters would call out health vials when already at max health
- Addressed multiple issues where audio was muffled or lost
- Addressed multiple issues where players would lose gravity permanently
- Edit group hint is now hidden when input is not available
Hotfixes are separate from the update and applied at the main menu when Borderlands 3 is connected to the internet. Unlike updates, hotfixes are not permanent—they are temporarily stored in memory during the game session and lost upon exiting Borderlands 3. To ensure that you receive hotfixes, make sure that your system is connected to the internet when Borderlands 3 boots up and hang out on the Menu screen until you see the background change (right now, you're looking for pumpkins)!
- Addressed a reported concern that the Legendary Maliwan "Recursion" ricochets failed to target ghosts
- Adjusted Rampager's item pool to allow for specific Legendaries to drop
- Addressed a potential progression blocker where Trail of Wisdom would not mark as complete during "Rumble in the Jungle"
- Addressed a reported concern that "Boom Sickle" showed incorrect part text.
- Addressed a reported concern that Hex grenades weren't showing FX on Wotan The Invincible
- Addressed a reported concern that the level transition for Cistern of Slaughter stays inactive after completing "Beneath the Meridian"