Hey Vault Hunters!
We've got a bunch of answers to frequently asked questions about Borderlands 3 coming to the Xbox Series X / S and PlayStation 5 next-gen consoles, as well as the new Ultimate Edition, Next-Level Edition, and Season Pass 2.
What is Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition?
- The Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition delivers the quintessential Borderlands 3 experience. It grants you access to all released Borderlands 3 content as of November 10, 2020, including the award-winning core game, six content add-ons in both Season Pass 1 and 2, and multiple bonus cosmetic packs—including the new Multiverse Final Form cosmetics.
- Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition will be available starting November 10 on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PC via Steam and Epic, and Stadia.*
What is Borderlands 3 Next-Level Edition?
- The Borderlands 3 Next-Level Edition celebrates the launch of the new Next-Gen platforms. It consists of the core game plus the all-new Multiverse Final Form cosmetic packs, which contain all-new body models and matching heads for Moze, Amara, FL4K and Zane.
- Borderlands 3 Next-Level Edition is only available for Xbox and PlayStation consoles and can be purchased through either the Current or Next Generation digital storefronts.
- Borderlands 3 Next-Level Edition will be available digitally starting November 10 on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox One.*
What is Borderlands 3 Season Pass 2?
- Enhance Borderlands 3 with Season Pass 2, which includes both the all-new Designer's Cut and upcoming Director's Cut add-ons for a new year of mayhem! Experience new modes and missions, create deadly new builds, rock fresh styles with the Multiverse Final Form cosmetics, and more!
- Season Pass 2 launches November 10, starting with the Designer's Cut, which features a new skill tree for each Vault Hunter and Arms Race—an all new roguelike mode where you and your friends drop in with nothing and have to battle to find and extract loot.
- Then in Spring 2021, get ready for the Director's Cut, a gameplay focused add-on that includes additional missions, end-game content, and behind-the-scenes extras!
- All Season Pass 2 content requires Borderlands 3 to play and is available for purchase separately or as part of the Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition.
- Season Pass 2 will be available starting November 10 on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PC via Steam and Epic, and Stadia.*
What is the Designer's Cut DLC?
- The Designer's Cut add-on launches on all platforms on November 10 and features an additional Skill Tree for each Vault Hunter and a brand-new, roguelike game mode called Arms Race. Designer's Cut can be purchased as a standalone add-on for Borderlands 3, or as part of Season Pass 2 and Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition.
What is Arms Race?
- Arms Race is an all new roguelike experience in Borderlands 3 where you and your friends dive in with nothing, gear up, and try to extract loot or die trying.
- Arms Race is the galaxy's premier reality murder show, hosted by two fan-favorite former Vault Hunters turned ECHOcast commentators: Axton and Salvador! The action takes place throughout the new Stormblind Complex: an expansive, decommissioned DAHL military base set on a wintry island in a hidden corner of Pandora. The Stormblind Complex likely got its name for some extremely fatal weather called the Murdercane (short for 'murder hurricane') that perpetually ravages the base. As soon as you drop in to the island, you're racing against the clock to grab as much gear as you can and get it to extraction points before you get obliterated by the encroaching storm's icy devastation.
- To ensure everyone's on equal footing, all skill trees are disabled in Arms Race, meaning no Action Skills or passive abilities. The focus is on gunplay, rewarding your ability to blast attackers while avoiding the storm. You can resurrect any fallen co-op allies at designated respawn points, but if everyone in your party falls, your Arms Race run is over and any loot you failed to extract is lost, like tears in a Murdercane.
- If you hope to get the very best Legendary loot that only drops in Arms Race, you'll need to face off against Heavyweight Harker, the final boss of the Stormblind Complex. Arms Race will push your run-and-gun skills to their limits, and though you may die repeatedly, successfully completing a run will make you the stuff of legend.
What are the new skill trees in Designer's Cut?
- Owning the Designer's Cut DLC grants access to an additional skill tree for each Vault Hunter, complete with fresh Action Skills and passive abilities to mix up your playstyle. These offer a huge range of new character builds, giving you endless possibilities for how you want to exterminate foes.
- Bowl a bloody path through opposition with Amara's Enlightened Force skill tree, featuring Cryo elemental effects and the Phaseflare orb of death.
- Render enemies helpless with FL4K's Trapper skill tree, immobilizing your prey with the Gravity Snare so you and your Loader Bot companion can get a clean shot.
- Be the proudest mech mommy with Moze's Bear Mother skill tree, which shrinks Iron Bear down to a self-piloting, still-exceptionally-deadly Iron Cub.
- Eliminate targets with lethal precision using Zane's The Professional skill tree, sniping faraway foes using the MNTIS Shoulder Cannon and its multiple charges.
- If you missed the recent in-depth reveals, check out the paired-up breakdowns in our Amara/FL4K and Moze/Zane articles, complete with developer commentary.
Will Designer's Cut launch with a level cap increase or additional skill tree points?
- No, we will not be increasing the level cap or additional skill tree points with the launch of Designer's Cut on November 10.
What are the Multiverse Final Form Cosmetics?
- The Multiverse Final Form cosmetics imagine what our heroes would've looked like if they never became Vault Hunters! Each eye-catching pack contains a one-of-a-kind Vault Hunter Body with a new Head to match. These cosmetics can be mixed and matched with other Body and Heads as desired and can also be paired with skins.
- All four Multiverse Final Form cosmetic packs will be granted to owners of the original Season Pass or Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe Edition, as well as owners of Season Pass 2, Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition, or Borderlands 3 Next-Level Edition.
If I already own Borderlands 3 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, do I get a free upgrade to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X / S?
- Yes! Existing Borderlands 3 players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One who purchase a next-generation console can upgrade to the next-gen version within the same console family for free. Players who own a physical disc of Borderlands 3 will need the Xbox Series X or standard PlayStation 5 console models that include a disc drive to take advantage of this feature.
When does Borderlands 3 release on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X / S?
- Borderlands 3 will be available day-and-date alongside the new consoles, playable at launch on the Xbox Series X / Series S on November 10 and the PlayStation 5 when it launches on November 12 in the US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea, and November 19 in the rest of the world.
Will Borderlands 3 support cross-gen saves?
- Your Borderlands 3 add-on content and save files can be ported to next-gen consoles within the same console family so you can jump straight back into the action.
- Xbox One save files will seamlessly transfer to your Xbox Series X / S once you've set up and signed into the same Xbox Account.
- PlayStation 4 save files can only be transferred to PlayStation 5, not the other way around. You'll need to log in on your PS4, then upload your save via the new "UPLOAD SAVE" option under "Play" on the Borderlands 3 main menu. Then, on PS5, you'll see an option to "DOWNLOAD SAVE" in the same Borderlands 3 main menu location, which pulls in the PS4 save that was uploaded. Only one of these saves will work at a time; if you upload another save, it will overwrite any previously uploaded save files.
Will Borderlands 3 support cross-gen play?
- Yes! Cross-play across console generations is possible. PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 players can play together, and Xbox Series X / S and Xbox One players can play together. Cross-play on PC is also possible between Steam and Epic.
Are there any differences between the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X versions of Borderlands 3?
- In terms of content, gameplay, and performance, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X versions of Borderlands 3 are identical.
Are there separate Trophies or Achievements for current-gen consoles versus next-gen consoles?
- No, the same Trophies and Achievements exist on both current and next-gen consoles. Your Trophies/Achievements from current-gen will transfer to next-gen platforms within the same console family.
NOTE: PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X / S required to play the next-generation version. The PlayStation 5 console will be available on November 12 in the US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea, and November 19 in all other regions.